Skip to main content

tv   Piers Morgan Tonight  CNN  March 26, 2012 9:00pm-10:00pm PDT

9:00 pm
cheese and bathing suit factor. but they're frankly still a bit silly. let us know what you think of beauty pageants and whether jenna should be allowed to compete. we talk to such about women issues and transgender, this is a really interesting one that might affect a lot more people. tonight explosive new details on the death of trayvon martin. what the police are saying and what has his family furious. >> the only comment that i have right now is that they've killed my son and now they're trying to kill his reputation. >> george zimmerman insists the killing was self-defense. will these developments improve his case? and chaka khan talks about the tragedy and what it says about race and justice in the country. and my interview with natalie cole. one of whitney houston's great friends. tonight she talks about the toxicology report and her battles with addiction.
9:01 pm
i'll also talk about the arrest of bobby brown on a dui charge. plus the passion of ron paul. the only doctor in the race taking on obama care as the showdown begins at the supreme court. and only in america, a very rotten easter egg roll. how bad parents are ruining all the good fun. this ask "piers morgan tonight." good evening. our big story tonight searching for the truth in the trayvon martin tragedy. civil rights leaders and thousands protest around the country. one of two new revelations that have outraged his grieving parents. was he gunned down because he
9:02 pm
was black? chaka khan has something important to say about it. it's coming up soon. plus natalie cole. i'll talk to her about her own addictions and today's arrest of bobby brown. plus supreme court taking on obama care. a case that affects every single american. ron paul will give me his diagnosis. >> this bill has far reaching consequences for the economic health of this country and for liberty in our society. >> but we begin tonight with our big story. the shooting death of unarmed florida teenager trayvon martin. george zimmerman says he shot in self-defense. tonight a police report leaked. david, it's a confusing picture
9:03 pm
that gets more confusing by the day. today new evidence from the police report which appears to suggest that zimmerman, the man who's become this hate figure in america, may have been acting in self-defense. what can you tell us about what's happened today? >> well, this came about as an unauthorized leak from somewhere in the investigation. the city of sanford itself is going to launch an investigation to find out where it came from. and popular plier the person who talked to the newspaper about this. but what they were saying was that george zimmerman was not the one who initiated the violent confrontation. they're saying it was trayvon martin who punched zimmerman in the face, knocked him down and beat his head against the ground. of course, when the family heard about this, they were very quick to point out that they had a phone call that they -- a person that trayvon was talking to, a young woman, who was on the phone with him at this point
9:04 pm
this happened. they're saying her story doesn't correspond with what this leak was saying to the newspaper. they're quick to respond and they're saying very vehemently that they believe trayvon martin's character is being attacked here by leaking this information out. >> also, it's a confusing picture because we're now a month into this story and suddenly these details start to emerge? the police have been under huge scrutiny and criticism and suddenly this stuff starts to leak. which would i guess put them in a slightly better light if george zimmerman is said to be the guy receiving the attack. we've got to remind ourself this boy was 17, a hundred pounds lighter. he had a bag of skittles on him. he was walking to his father's girlfriend's house. and we're now supposed to believe a month into this that he was the aggressor.
9:05 pm
i mean, how credibly are people taking these police reports? >> well, we do have the reaction from the family. and we do have the reaction from the city. the city did say that that is information consistent with what has been given to the state's attorney. so they were confirming that information. and we're hearing from the family they're having their argument ready to go. saying if you listen to the phone calls -- if you listen to the 911 calls and if you pay attention to what that teenager girl was saying as she was talking to trayvon as this was happening, they say that paints a different picture. you say it's confusing. and it is confusing because george zimmerman has not come out to explain exactly publicly what he feels like happened that night. also the only person alive from that encounter is george zimmerman. police have his account. they say that they were able to go along with his claim of self-defense because witnesses
9:06 pm
corresponded and said that that backed up what he was saying. at this point, we know what zimmerman was saying that it was self-defense. this was the first time we were hearing these kind of details. it has been a month. that should tell you how police have been keeping this under wraps. and they have been saying things to us all along that demonstrate they have a great deal of confidence in their case. this might be one of those pieces of information that shows us where that confidence is coming from. >> it might. although, of course, there is no witness -- according to the orlando sentinel which revealed this today, there's no witness to the punch which george zimmerman claims was laid on him first. so the witnesses are conflicting as well. david mattingly, thank you very much for now. i'm joined now by chaka khan. chaka, i know you're emotional about this. you're passionate about this. you're angry about this. you've heard what we've just
9:07 pm
been discussing there. the police leaking coming out suggesting that it may not quite be the picture we think. is it unfair towards george zimmerman to be effectively declaring him guilty? >> well, that is unfair to declare him guilty a month after the whole thing went down. i'm going to knock over everything. a month after. a whole month it happened. this is ridiculous. he should have been immediately looked into for carrying a firearm as a neighborhood watchman. that is, like, ridiculous. when he called into a dispatcher and the dispatcher told him what the situation was, the dispatcher should have told him to immediately stand down if you're carrying a weapon. >> the dispatcher does say on the tape he should not pursue the boy. and he does pursue the boy. there's lots of contradictions there.
9:08 pm
>> i can't wait to hear the tapes. >> the problem is there are gaps. we've heard some of the tapes. there are gaps here. what is the bigger picture, though, chaka? clearly the black community of america is getting very angry about this. why is that? >> here's the thing. we are sick and tired in america of seeing little children lost and children gone missing and they never make the 9:00 or the 5:00 news. you can go back the last five years. and i don't think -- i think maybe one other kid, black child, a football player was covered on the news.
9:09 pm
i think there's really something wrong with that. that is the racial aspect of this. because obviously george is not -- george zimmerman is not a white man and neither was trayvon. but there seems to be some kind of -- something going on here. >> i totally share the pain of trayvon martin's parents particularly in relation to stuff leaking out now. there was a trace of marijuana in his school bag. >> they're trying to sully his character. >> but other teachers said he was a good student. he was never in much trouble. trying to portray him as a big troublemaker now, a drug taking troublemaker suits an agenda to try and move people away from the thought that this innocent black child has been killed. >> right. >> yet the facts remain he was unarmed. he had a bag of sweets. >> skittles and a tea. >> and he's a hundred pounds lighter than the guy he's supposed to have held down and beaten up. >> and he was at such close
9:10 pm
range the bullet flipped him over to his stomach. it's crazy. it's crazy this man has not been taken into custody. i don't care who his father is. >> what do you think of the stand your ground law florida has? to me, coming from britain, this is inconceivable there's a law like this. people can simply shoot people in the streets and say i was acting in self-defense because somebody punched me. it's inconceivable that would be law. in florida, that is the state law. >> it's insanity. >> he wasn't arrested or charged because the law allows that. what do you feel about a justice system that has that law? >> that stand your ground thingy, that law they have in place, i don't understand it. excuse me. i don't get it. i really don't understand it. stand your ground when? what? i mean, they need to really look
9:11 pm
into that. we need to really know the particulars of that legislation and really know in depth what that really curtails. i'm not sure. >> the right to bear arms, the right to defend yourself. this has been in the constitution. and americans feel very fervently about this. this stand your ground in the street if somebody punches you in the face. even if you assume the worst -- >> he didn't deserve it. >> even if he did having been followed by george zimmerman. if he then turns around and punches him, and you assume that happened, does that give anyone the right to shoot him? >> no. he did not deserve to get shot. absolutely not. it's got to stop. and, you know, it's because of a -- with the boy -- i'm sure the fact the boy was wearing a hoodie, a jacket with a hood on it and there's this profile going on in america where this
9:12 pm
is a dangerous or this outfit or this -- children wearing these clothes at a certain age are a threat. and so we did -- actually, my birthday was a couple days ago. and it hit me that i was here celebrating another year of life and here this child is dead. >> you've done a video, a record. tell me about this. we're actually going to play it for the first time. >> what i did. this is not anything to make money. it is simply to bring about awareness. >> what's it called? >> "super life." >> let's take a little look at this. we've got a video. ♪ the right to stand tall ♪ i'm going to live a super life ♪ ♪ for the rest of my life ♪ i'm going to live a super life ♪ ♪ super life super life yeah
9:13 pm
>> i'm trayvon. >> i thought one or the more powerful moments was the president saying it could have been my son. what did you feel when you heard that? >> that was beautiful. that's how we all feel. that's how i feel. whenever i learn of a black child or any child, i love children. all children. it's not -- and the big picture, it's not about racism. in the really big picture, it's about -- i think it's more having to do with how much money you make at the end of the year or something like that. i don't know exactly what it is. >> do you think america is more or less racist since getting its first black president? >> well, i think we've seen some things happening and some things being said about obama. that i think were sort of on the racist side.
9:14 pm
i really don't think that america has come that far when it comes to stamping out or stopping racism, period. since the end of slavery. because i think we're more cerebral about it. the way it's applied now is smarter. >> hold that thought. we've got to take a break. i want to talk about this black panther group that emerged today with the amount on george zimmerman's head. [ male announcer ] if you believe the mayan calendar, on december 21st, polar shifts will reverse the earth's gravitational pull and hurtle us all into space, which would render retirement planning unnecessary. but say the sun rises on december 22nd and you still need to retire, td ameritrade's investment consultants can help you build a plan that fits your life. we'll even throw in up to $600 when you open a new account or roll over an old 401(k).
9:15 pm
so who's in control now, mayans?
9:16 pm
wow. this is new. yep, i'm sending the dancing chicken to every store in the franchise to get the word out. that could work. or you could use every door direct mail from the postal service. it'll help you and all your franchisees find the customers that matter most -- the ones in the neighborhood. you print it or we'll help you find a local partner. great. keep it moving, honey. honey? that's my wife. wow. there you go. there you go. [ male announcer ] go online to reach every home, every address, every time with every door direct mail. [ male announcer ] you plant. you mow. you grow. you dream. meet the new definition of durability: the john deere select series. with endless possibilities, what will you create? ♪ learn more about the new select series x310 with power steering
9:17 pm
at johndeere.com/x310. special guest chaka khan. we're talking about this trayvon martin case. it has sort of gripped the nation's attention. it is, i guess -- it's easy to be judge and jury on these cases. and, you know, i'm exercised about it. i feel angry about it. i feel a young boy who was unarmed has been shot and no one has even been arrested. it seems perverse to me. having said that, george zimmerman under florida law if he was indeed standing his ground as the law allows him to do. if his life was in danger or he was going to be severely beaten, that he's entitled to use his firearm. that is the law. there was a group today coming out calling themselves new black panthers. anderson cooper had a heated
9:18 pm
debate with them earlier. they wanted the right to perform a citizens arrest on george zimmerman and don't respect what they call white law in this country. >> i find that very interesting. as you may know, i was once a panther myself when i lived in chicago. growing up as a teenager. >> the original black panthers. >> yeah. the original black panthers. all i did was sell newspapers on the corner barefoot. you know, it -- you'd have to almost walk in our shoes to feel what i know they're feeling. i understand that reaction. i truly do. every time a child is kidnapped or dies or shot in a drive by, any baby, i feel like -- i feel a loss, a big loss.
9:19 pm
so i understand where they're coming from. >> but should they be allowed to be vigilantes? >> i really don't. i think the law needs to intervene and do the right thing. i think zimmerman needs to turn himself into the police department. or they need to arrest him or bring him in and bring in all the witnesses, the girl witness that was there and see what's really going on here. we're tired of this. >> is the anger the fact he hasn't been arrested yet? that seems to be the anger. >> that's just crazy. that's insane. >> do you feel if it had been for argument's sake a 17-year-old white boy and a black man who had killed him, would we be in the same position. >> absolutely not. >> you really believe that? >> i truly believe that. i think you know that. you've lived in this country long enough to know pretty much how it goes. there's still -- i think that
9:20 pm
young black men are an endangered species for the most part. you know, i had to tell my son and my son and i have had some problems in the not too long ago with guns. i used to worry every night -- >> him actually using a gun? >> yes. well, a gun went off accidentally. it was his best friend. >> what do you say to him? >> well, please son, be careful. and check in with me. let me know where you're going. let me know where you are. call me. at least now he doesn't live nearby. so at least call me two, three times a week just to say i'm okay. you know. because i'm scared for him. >> when you have a country that has elected an african-american president, this incredible change moment in the nation's history. when that happens, it's hard to
9:21 pm
say that boys like trayvon martin, your son, or other young black teenager boys can't make great lives of themselves. isn't it? >> it's hard to say that. it's hard to say. it's harder to see. it's harder to witness. it's harder to experience. >> so when you say we need to put ourselves into their shoes, put me into their shoes. >> all right. in chicago, for instance, i have a lot of family that lives there. still today they are shooting kids, ten a day. my little cousins, my second cousins, had to move her three grandsons to another state for fear that they would not make it into college. and now they can play outside, ride their bikes and do things like that. it's bad. chicago is one city that if you want to look at stats of kids
9:22 pm
being murdered in the streets, and nothing being done about it. and i mean, in a lot of the shootings are kids shooting kids. and right now my foundation is doing an initiative to -- for the gun laws to get that to address that situation. because that shouldn't be able to happen. >> i mean, it is a desperate situation. i think the family of trayvon martin, heart goes out to them. >> these are people that work hard. have raised a beautiful child. and everything i could see, and i'm a pretty good judge of character. he seems to be a lovely, lovely boy. a sweet boy. he had some skittles and a tea in his hand for christ's sake. and to try to -- it took a month for them to, like, sully his character. >> that is the position that i think is causing the family such angst. i understand that.
9:23 pm
you know, took them three days to identify. and taken a month for any details to emerge. you would have thought with such helpful information to the case, somebody would have said this earlier than a month later. >> i agree. >> i think that is one of the reasons it's become such a huge story. >> well, a lot of big stars and big people are really pissed off about this. i really feel strongly about our children. and their safety. this is children of every color. we're concerned about children's safety. on that video you showed a clip of, on 48 hours notice people like angela bassett and loretta devine -- >> your purpose is to do what? >> to raise awareness in children and adults and everybody that you can't judge a person by what he's wearing.
9:24 pm
>> chaka, got to leave it there. thank you for joining me today. >> thank you very having me back. >> good luck. >> thank you. >> chaka khan. coming up next, keeping america great. what will be the battle ground of the health care, what will it mean for this country? i'll ask ron paul after the break. or... we make it pink ! with these 4g lte tablets, you can do business at lightning-fast speeds. we'll take all the strawberries, dave. you got it, kid. we have a winner. we're definitely gonna need another one. small businesses that want to grow use 4g lte technology from verizon. i wonder how she does it. that's why she's the boss. because the small business with the best technology rules. contact the verizon center for customers with disabilities at 1-800-974-6006.
9:25 pm
9:26 pm
9:27 pm
it's almost like an etch a sketch. shake it up and start it all over. >> how many used an etch a sketch? >> you shake it like an etch a sketch. >> where's my etch a sketch app? >> we're talking about big things here, folks. >> that was an ad from ron paul taking a shot at all the etch a sketch uproar. now taking on obama care. front and center in front of the supreme court. ron paul is leer to talk health politics and keeping america great. welcome back. >> thank you. nice to be with you.
9:28 pm
>> i'd like to thank you for having me in your attack ad. a great personal honor. >> we're going to make you famous. >> let's talk about health care. because i come from a country where everybody gets free health care. i don't understand why all you republicans are so exorcised about a president who wants more americans to get health care. >> tell me what free means. i've never heard of anything being free. it means somebody gets something from somebody else and the government uses force to transfer a service or a good or money from one to another. that's coercion and that's a mandate. it's a dictate. it undermines the concept of freedom and undermines the concept of what america is all about. this is all new for us. last 30 years or so that we've decided that we had to have the government doing this. and the quality of medical care is going down and the cost is going up. and we don't -- we're going to get our lines. we've heard about the long lines
9:29 pm
in britain and canada to get the medical care. but it's free. as you say. you're kidding yourself if you think it's free. >> what -- let me throw a country like switzerland at you. because they have a health care program. it's just not dissimilar to what obama care is suggesting and it's been very successful. >> well, we've had a successful system here, too, before the government got involved. i don't know enough about switzerland to critique it. but i would say that one thing they don't have to deal with. if you want to provide services which might contradict my personal beliefs, you can't do it if you consume the wealth. switzerland doesn't like to go around and invade other countries which means they may have better money. because of the way we waste money, then it makes it more
9:30 pm
difficult. but the whole process and anybody who comes to the conclusion that government should redistribute wealth and services and mandate things, i think they're kidding themselves. that's not the way a free society works. i'd like to see more distribution of goods and services the way everybody distributes cell phones. the opposite happens when you get the government involved in housing or in medical care or education. the costs keep going up and quality goes down. i don't see why people can't see that it's not working. and now we're bankrupt. and the world's bankrupt. sure, it lasts for awhile. but eventually the world will have to face the fact that we're bankrupt. we'll have hearings tomorrow dealing with the subject of how u.s. and the u.s. dollar is going to bailout europe. europe's in big trouble. >> as a former doctor, don't you
9:31 pm
think inevitably the way other counties have gone with this, that america spends more than any other country on health care, it will get to a system like car insurance. where everybody will have it. they'll have to have it. it will be a form of mandate. but like car insurance it's for your own good and the system has to be simplified. >> i worry about governments when they do things for my own good. they do it for the good of the politician is what they do. i don't see how that's going to improve things. it just sort of bankrupts the country and the quality does not go up. america is a little different. we don't really have socialized medicine. we have, you know, corporate medicine. so whether it's the democrats or the republicans, we always have the drug companies, the insurance companies, everybody else they're in the middle. and the bureaucrats, the politicians, the drug companies
9:32 pm
all in between the doctor and the patient. as a physician, i want nobody between me and the patient. and if we -- we couldn't have a system where you give the tax credits to the people who want to take care of themselves and buy a major medical policy. i mean, up until the 1960s even when i first started medicine, we didn't have government insurance. and things weren't that bad. i worked in charity hospitals and things weren't as tough in emergency rooms. everybody got taken care of all now we spend all the money than anybody else and the corporations are very much involved in the distribution of this. it's not a good way to do it. >> let's turn to mitt romney's position in all this. obviously he's got this issue of what he himself did and what he's now trying to distance himself from. how big a problem is it going to be for mitt romney if he becomes the nominee, the fact that his
9:33 pm
own health plans were very similar to what barack obama is trying to get through? >> he should have problems in the republican primary. if barack obama does it and mitt romney's not too far removed and his program was similar. the nation is accepting this, you know, i don't think that is as big a deal. it should be a big deal in the republican primary is where it should be. but that's what's going on right now in the primary. because it is a major issue. he has a problem because she's changed positions on other things too. as a governor of a very liberal state and then becoming ultraconservative in a republican primary, that's a bit of a challenge for him. but if he has a program similar to -- i mean, bush went and gave us not only the prescription drug program and republicans didn't say boo. oh, yeah, we'll go along with it.
9:34 pm
bush did the same thing. he massively expanded government medicine and corporate medicine. the drug companies were promoting that and the insurance companies were promoting prescription drugs. but they're not different. the democrats and the republicans both go to the corporations in order to distribute and make money. force everybody to buy insurance. i don't see the insurance companies screaming and hollering. they like the customers, but if there's a mandate and they have to provide a service, they complain about it. that's why governments don't work. you need freedom of choice and markets. you need competition. you need to drive down prices. you don't need to have so many monopolies running the health care system. >> talking of competition, let me put my own doctor hat on. if i were prescribing some medicine for you right now, congressman, i think i would say the situation is looking pretty terminal for your race to be the gop nominee. why don't you just do the decent thing and pull out? why are you staying in the race?
9:35 pm
>> why don't you do the decent thing and not pester me with silly questions like that? i mean, that would be decent of you. >> it's not that silly. the latest gallup poll has you at 9%. >> what you're looking for are delegates and we're doing quite well. >> let's see how well you're doing. mitt romney 569 delegates, ron paul 71. >> what about the state where is they're still working through the process which is most of them. you know whether it's up in maine or right now we're doing well in the state of washington. and north dakota. now in nevada. and even missouri the other day, some really good news came out there for us. through the process, our people are in the right places. they're doing the things to
9:36 pm
become a delegate. it's way too soon for you to write anybody off. besides, just because somebody is in second or third place but there's a race going on. what if mitt romney isn't the best person? why should we just throw in the towel because people like you say hey, throw in the towel. people don't want you out there. wanting to debate the war and the federal reserve and wanting to debate this civil liberties assassination on american citizens. we fought the british because the british came over here and arrested our american citizens for civil law. so now we -- >> you'd be fighting the british tonight, congressman. and very effective. i don't want you to throw in the towel. i think you're a national treasure in this country. i wondered if you thought you should and you made your position crystal clear. and i wish you all the best with your campaign. >> thank you. >> nice to talk to you again. ron paul. got to love that guy.
9:37 pm
coming up, my exclusive with natalie cole. she knew whitney houston before she was a star. now she's speaking out for the first time since whitney's death. >> announcer: this is the day. the day that we say to the world of identity thieves "enough." we're lifelock, and we believe you have the right to live free from the fear of identity theft. our pledge to you? as long as there are identity thieves, we'll be there. we're lifelock. and we offer the most comprehensive identity theft protection ever created. lifelock: relentlessly
9:38 pm
protecting your identity. call 1-800-lifelock or go to lifelock.com today. ♪ it was the best day [ whooping ] ♪ it was the best day ♪ it was the best day ♪ ♪ it was the best day ♪ 'cause of you we make a great pair. huh? progressive and the great outdoors! we make a great pair. right, totally. that's what i was thinking. all kinds of vehicles, all kinds of savings. multi-policy discounts from progressive. call or click today.
9:39 pm
9:40 pm
the unforgettable natalie cole is a nine time grammy winning singer, song writer and pruer. this is her first interview since whitney's death. glad you're here. last i saw you was performing for a private birthday party. just fabulous. one of my favorite singers. before we get to whitney, you were listening to chaka's interview there. what do you make of it?
9:41 pm
>> you know, the question unfortunately can be answered by another question. which is the best thing. and that is if it was a white boy that got shot by a black person, where would he be? i don't think we'd be doing the same thing. i just -- in my spirit, i just don't feel there's an equality going on. even though the guy that shot him is not a white caucasian. but i just don't get it. i think that it's a horrible law they have. >> so there's some evidence -- even if it didn't that isn't the point. the point is the way the law treats young black boys in particular in this country right now. is that what you're saying? >> not only the law that treats black boys, but there's another law that if you go and shoot somebody you're supposed to be accountable for that. >> i find that the most extraordinary thing. >> it is. >> forget the race issue forget all of it.
9:42 pm
how can the law allow someone not to be arrested after shooting someone? it is baffling. let's move to whitney houston. a sad development today. bobby brown arrested in l.a. >> i just heard that. >> for dui. he's obviously going through his own demons about all this. >> makes sense. >> you knew whitney very, very well. we had the drugs report last week. what do you think of everything that's happened in the last month? >> first of all, i do want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to speak about this. the first several weeks i couldn't even get it together. whitney was a very strong woman. i believe she knew exactly what she was doing. i don't think that she meant to leave here. and once the toxicology report came in, i wasn't surprised. everyone wanted to believe that after i think at least two rehabs that she was coming
9:43 pm
along. but the demons where still chasing her. >> these are demons you have fought in your life. >> absolutely. >> and more successfully. i think we can say that. >> by the grace of god really. >> did you -- i mean, you had an affinity with her as a performer. you've had the pressures of that as well. huge fame and everything else. you've also been there on the drug addiction side of things. so you must have felt -- >> when whitney knew me, efs in the throes of my addiction. i hadn't gotten quite sober yet. >> did you try and help her? >> you know, i talked to whitney. there were a couple times where she'd call and we would just chat and everything. but the last time i saw whitney was actually i think it was either the bahamas or one of clive davis' parties. which is now probably becoming three years. we were on tour together for three weeks in germany. me, deion, and whitney. she was in good health, good voice.
9:44 pm
it was wonderful. i've known her as a little girl. 19 years old i saw her. and she just had such wonderful success. but i have to, you know, refer also to what kevin costner said at the funeral. that she really was so afraid of what people were saying about her. she had this guilt. she never was totally confident about who she was and what she had. >> how big a problem -- and i've talked to a few people about this. and i got a real sense that perhaps her biggest demon was losing the magical voice that she couldn't hit those big notes again. >> i would think that would be devastating. >> destroying her. >> yeah. >> can you relate to that? >> i had to cancel a show about two years ago. i got hoarse and couldn't sing. the doctor said if you try to sing anyway, you'll ruin your voice. i had to cancel which was mortifying but it doesn't happen often.
9:45 pm
when whitney and i worked together in germany, she was in fine voice. >> could she still hit the big notes? >> she hit some of them, yeah. but her presence on the stage was so full that if you missed a high note, you get over it. >> is your voice as good as it was, say, 20 years ago? >> i don't know. i kind of like to think it is, yeah. i'm just a little more savvy with it. >> is it harder if you're one of those huge diva singers like whitney when you've done that "i will always love you" when you hit that big note and that was a great test when i judge these talent shows. anyone who would try to do a whitney song, most of them couldn't get near it. >> forget about it. >> you've got to be a special singer to do that consistently. and when you lose that power, it's like samson losing his hair. >> it's terrifying when your voice isn't working the way you want it to.
9:46 pm
i think with whitney there were other things as well but i'm sure that depressed her. and i wanted to get to her so badly. because we had both done a show in australia. she had been there, like, maybe a month or so before i did. and i wish that i could have sat down with her. it's really about a choice. this is what whitney chose to do. god bless her. >> come back after the break and talk about whitney. i'm interested in that idea of the choice. so many people have tried to blame people like bobby brown and others. that may not be fair. >> please. let's talk about this. >> when we come back. we're america's natural gas and here's what we did today: supported nearly 3 million steady jobs across our country... ... scientists, technicians, engineers, machinists... ... adding nearly 400 billion dollars to our economy...
9:47 pm
we're at work providing power to almost a quarter of our homes and businesses... ... and giving us cleaner rides to work and school... and tomorrow, we could do even more. cleaner, domestic, abundant and creating jobs now. we're america's natural gas. the smarter power, today. learn more at anga.us. top quality lobster is all we catch. [ male announcer ] don't miss red lobster's lobsterfest. the only time of year you can savor 12 exciting lobster entrees, like lobster lover's dream i'm laura mclennan and i sea food differently. is the pain reliever orthopedic doctors recommend most for arthritis pain, think again. and take aleve. it's the one doctors recommend most for arthritis pain. two pills can last all day. ♪
9:48 pm
9:49 pm
9:50 pm
çtooowill be giving away day. passafree copies of the alcoholism & addiction cure. to get yours, go to ssagesmalibubook.com. i'm with natalie cole speaking out for the first time since her friend whitney houston's death. i want to play a clip you and whitney singing together. this is really special. ♪ forever and ever we never will part ♪ ♪ i love you forever and ever ♪ this is how it must be ♪ it would only bring heartbreak for me ♪
9:51 pm
>> fantastic. that was a 1989 naacp awards. what a moment. what do you feel watching that? >> i'm just sad -- happy sad. you know, it is bittersweet. >> so powerful. >> we loved each other's talent. we appreciated each other. we had this wonderful friendship, and we could sipping together like that in a minute. >> i was intrigued by what you said before in the break, she was her own woman. a few people said the same thing to me. this wasn't some shy innocent retiring little girl who didn't know what she was getting into. and when people try to blame bobby brown or other influences that came into her life they're missing the point. whitney was her own woman. >> as we continue to do more research or something about addiction and what that really means, you know, being on drugs,
9:52 pm
i think that in spite of the fact that she was still getting high and having a good time, whitney was a party girl, she loved it, she was good at it. i think she was not -- i don't think she did anything she hadn't already been -- >> that's important. >> i never heard that word until i went to my second rehab, i was in rehab first in california and they told you were crazy. i went to a second rehab, 30 days is like -- nobody can get sober in 30 days. >> when you heard whitney had died, did you feel it had been a wasted life or was it an inevitably short life that had amazingly high moments? >> i don't think it was wasted, because she got some good stuff out there before she left here.
9:53 pm
but i see a woman who really wanted to please everybody. she knew what she had, she knew her talent, she knew her power, she had had faith beyond compare. and it's really, it's too bad she's not here. i was so upset about its that i was just angry. i was really angry. >> with her or with the situation? or both? >> i don't know, i mean there is a selfishness to drug addiction. >> yes, there is. it turns into that. >> nobody can tell a drug addict. they have to look at themselves one day in the mirror. >> they may fall down a bunch times before they say i'm done. it's not easy. i think i even take issue with the drug treatment facility. i think that there's not really great ones. i think they use a technique
9:54 pm
that i'm not sure is all that successful, especially for someone to stay sober. >> what were your favorite memories. >> of whitney? >> probably we were on tour together in germany. we had the best time. it was me, whitney and deion. >> i'm going to leave it at that. it's going to be a pleasure. it's nice to talk to you. coming up next, only in america, the out of control parent who is ruin their kids easter egg hunt. ection. [announcer:] conocophillips says, you're right. find out how natural gas answers both at powerincooperation.com.
9:55 pm
the sleep number bed.
9:56 pm
the magic of this bed is that you're sleeping on something that conforms to your individual shape. wow! that feels really good. it's hugging my body. in less than a minute i can get more support. if you change your mind once you get home you can adjust it. so whatever you feel like, the sleep number bed's going to provide it for you. at our semi-annual sleep sale, save $400 to $700 on our most popular bed sets. sale ends march 31st. only at the sleep number store, where queen mattresses start at just $699.
9:57 pm
tonight's only in america, r hi p the easter bunny.
9:58 pm
the spring religious holiday contains wonderful traditions, including the egg roll at the white house. >> is everyone having a good time? >> happy easter, everybody. we are thrilled that all of you could come and usually popular easter egg hunts across the country. i'm here to report the demise of this pastime. adults have come along to ruin it an egg hunt has been cancelled in colorado. parents were so desperate for their kids to win they cheated. they jumped a rope specifically designed to prevent adult involvement and swarmed the hunt area to grab eggs for their children so they could win. >> what kind of role model are you as a parent if your actions
9:59 pm
are cancelling an event your child is going to remember for the rest your life. >> an awful role model. don't get me wrong, i'm a competitive kind of guy, i like winning, i hate losing. i'm a parent of four children, but i understand the desire for your offspring to succeed in life. but stealing eggs from an easter egg hunt, really? has there ever been a more edifing example of helicopter parents? you know who you are, the time that hoshers over their children, poking their bossy nose into every aspect of their lives trying to prevent failure. the kind that lies, bribes and bull byes to get them into better schools and sports includes or does their homework for them. this isn't going to help spoil chuck or nancy when they get into the real world.